This week’s interview is with highly anticipated and requested guest, Matt Long. Matt Long is husband and other half to Robin’s balanced life.
In this episode, Matt and Robin share how they balance health, marriage, and kids during this season of life. They discuss roles they’ve had to take on, along with how they make gradual changes in order to support their family’s needs. Join this dynamic duo in this authentic conversation about how to lean into current seasons, along with how to make conscious choices to support and encourage your partner through the good, bad, and the ugly.
Show highlights: what you can look forward to in this episode!
- What Robin’s life looked like before Matt and how he’s impacted her self-perception
- Where Matt was in life when he met Robin and how running became a bonding experience
- Managing postpartum season and the importance of having support
Lifestyle differences + shifts
- Navigating lifestyle differences and taking initiative to live a healthier lifestyle
- How to work through lifestyle shifts with your partner harmoniously
- What to do when your partner isn’t being supportive in health changes
Navigating health + fitness as a family
- Integrating nourishing recipes that are still flavorful into your diet
- Managing individual dietary and allergy restrictions as a family
- Matt’s relationship with Pilates and the role exercise plays in his life
- How Matt and Robin integrate exercise into their busy schedule
Saying no + being the best you can for your family
- Things Matt doesn’t do in this current season of life
- What Robin and Matt say no to as a family
- Avoiding self-pity in order to be as supportive and encouraging as possible
- Making a mindset shift to show up with more energy for your family
Links in this episode:
Share this podcast episode!
7 thoughts on “Q&A with my husband: marriage, health & family balance”
How do I get my dad to stop telling me I need to lose weight then show me apple pie with tons of whip cream on it or pasties yes those meat pies the miners carried to work in the upper Peninsula of Michigan, they were a staple when I grew up but not now but I think you understand what I’m leading into hear with my Dadand when I try to say that what he is doing is hurtful him and my Mom just roll their eyes. I’m at a loss besides just to get up and walk out. I barely go over their now.
Hi Lydia. I am sorry to hear about the struggles you’re having with your family supporting your health goals. Check out this blog post Robin wrote on this topic:https://thebalancedlifeonline.com/what-to-do-when-your-friends-family-dont-support-your-healthy-lifestyle/
Cheering for you!
First podcast I have listened to. It was nice to hear from both you and your husband. I am curious as to how you chose pilates over all the other types of workouts. I was lifting weights in the gym and doing cardio every other day for 30-40 minutes per day over 10 years and got bored with the same routine. I really enjoy a good 15 minute workout per day. I choose from a multitude of 15 minute workouts: HIT, resistance bands, pilates, tibatas, yoga, running, swimming laps, biking, SUP, and kite boarding.
Great pod cast and the true honesty of most family normal busy lifestyle
Great podcast! Thank you so much for sharing!!
I’ve just finished the last 19th episode of your podcast Balanced Life. I truly enjoyed each of it. I would listen to it whenever I have 5 -10 or maybe on a lucky day 15 minutes mostly on my way to work. I am very lucky to be able to walk to work. I have 3 kids, boy 3, and a baby girl 11 month. I so hear you, and admire your attitude. Having 4 kids you are very blessed! I like the way you do the shows where you are giving the person you are interviewing to say a lot, and you are not overpowering it. Very enjoyable to listen, and so much to learn from many wonderful women. Lets just keep doing what we are all trying to do – to get balance between it all!
You mention exercises that helped Matt with back pain and it band. Can you share those? Thanks!